Friday, April 18, 2008

Simply Jesus

In the past couple of days I have been thinking about how simple it is to live for Father if that is all that there is to live for. However, I get caught up in thoughts of the differences in theology, religious rituals and set of laws and it just makes life so confusing, so blurry that sometimes I can’t even see Father anymore. I think it is really awesome that I have the ability to discern truth verses idealistic views of the human mind. It is just too easy to allow all of those theologies and religious (STUFF) to mess with your mind and leave one feeling lost in what is truth and what isn’t. But I am not sure if that is really important, who is right and who isn’t but the thing that really sticks out to me is Jesus. That is the most important particle in my human existence. I have thought recently that if I just continually go back to my relationship with Jesus nothing else exist in that, but Him, me, and the love we have for each other. I can make my relationship with Father a lot more complicated and hard, but, why do that when being in this relationship with Him can be limitless in the fact that I can do all things Christ who strengthens me. Wow! Can this relationship with him come without all that other stuff: Labels, rituals, traditional laws, institutional living, and a lot more (STUFF) to do and fill my mind with?

If we were to put several Jesus believing pastors, teachers, speakers in the same room together to engage in conversation, how well would that go over? For example, we could have Joel Olsteen, Wayne Jacobsen, John Elderage, Phillip Yancy, Max Lucado, and Joyce Meyer share in dialogue about all the things they don’t agree with could lead to some really heated conversation about all kinds of things, but, what is the one thing they all have in common? Simply Jesus, nothing more, nothing less. Some would say it can’t be that simple, and I would have to say, if the main focus was on all the disagreements and you just took all of it away, and all there was to talk about was Jesus in our lives, then why can’t it be that simple?

How about just simply Jesus? I may be off my rocker, but if you honestly push all that other stuff aside, what do you have left? The fog lifts and my sight becomes clear and all I see in front of me is Jesus, who says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” I don’t know if I am the only one, but all that other (STUFF) makes me so weary and tired that I can hardly see straight. I think that thinking about the differences of theologies and religion isn’t bad, and Father uses those thoughts to surely strengthen your mind and heart in Christ Jesus if that is where one’s heart is, but, if I am not careful, it can take me for granted and get me lost in it all. I want to have Jesus in the forefront of my mind consistently in every thought that I process and through it all, once every thought is filtered and thought out, Jesus will be the only one left, just him, and nothing else.

2 comments:

Aida said...

Great post, Nicki. It really is that simple but we tend to complicate the simplicity of it because we just can't believe it's that simple. Jesus and only Jesus. All the other thing fade in importance when we keep our eyes on him.

That's an interesting group of individuals you suggested putting in one room. I imagine there might be some fireworks as the discussion got going.

Aida

Walking Church said...

'Set you mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you you also will be revealed with Him in glory.' (NAS Col 3.2-4

Nic - you have found the gem that many have missed after years of searching. Jesus. There is nothing else. Theology for many is an idol they value before their relationship with Jesus.

At this point in my walk with Jesus, I have only one thing to offer up on that great day of judgment...Jesus is my life. I am found in Him and He in me. Apart from Him I am nothing. My life is because of Him.

Web Site Hit Counter